Top 3 Private Universities in Malaysia for Diploma in Physiotherapy
Students taking the Diploma in Physiotherapy will gain in-depth knowledge and skills to assess and formulate physiotherapeutic diagnoses and provide appropriate interventions, rehabilitation and treatments to patients with a physical disability, functional limitation and other illnesses and injuries.
It is important to choose a top private university to study the Diploma in Physiotherapy course in order to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to lead a successful career. The university should have years of experience in offering the course supported by top notch physiotherapy facilities and equipment.
In addition, they develop and cultivate skills in critical thinking, problem-solving and decision making, which are essential for professional practice as a physiotherapist. The practical experience gained through workplace learning help to nurture clinical competence and enhancing hands-on skills.
Please fill up the Form below and I will WhatsApp you and provide you with sound advise on how to choose the best private university or college in Malaysia to study at. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Our knowledgeable & experienced counsellor will send you a message on WhatsApp & provide assistance from there.
Study at the Best Universities in Malaysia for Diploma in Physiotherapy after SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels
Students who have just completed their SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels with a passion for health care and interest in Biology may go for the Diploma in Physiotherapy. It is important to choose a top private university to study this course in order to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to lead a successful career. The university should have years of experience in offering the course supported by top notch physiotherapy facilities and equipment.
Below are Malaysia’s best private universities offering the Diploma in Physiotherapy:
No. 1. MAHSA University
The Diploma in Physiotherapy at MAHSA University is designed in consultation with a panel of local and international experts, resulting in a highly sought after curriculum that combines theoretical learning and practical sessions in physiotherapy clinics and hospitals. Students of the Diploma in Physiotherapy gain experience in our rather exhaustive list of panel of hospitals throughout Malaysia.
MAHSA University’s Diploma in Physiotherapy is approved by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency and Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia and recognized by the Ministry of Health, Malaysia. Tuition fees for the Diploma in Physiotherapy at MAHSA University are kept at an affordable level, to ensure there are little barriers to a good quality education.
No, 2. UOW Malaysia College
Started as a business unit in 2009 and grew to ~1100 students at present and offering over 18 programs. Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare College has been involved in Healthcare Education for almost 20 years conducting degree, diploma, certificate programs as well as in-house training.
In 2020 the college relocate to UOW Malaysia College in Glenmarie and join the University of Wollongong’s (UOW) global network of higher education campuses as part of long term health education.
The Physiotherapy Program at UOW Malaysia College encompasses comprehensive learning with emphasis on “hands on” practice and clinical placements in accredited hospitals.
The students will undergo specially designed clinical placements which exceeds the 1000 hours requirement by the World Confederation of Physiotherapy. The students learn to treat patient holistically while minimising risks, ensure patient safety at all times, and working within a legal and ethical framework.
No. 3. Aimst University
The Diploma in Physiotherapy at Aimst University is well designed to produce graduates with in-depth knowledge and skills to assess and formulate physiotherapeutic diagnoses and provide appropriate interventions, rehabilitation and treatments to patients with a physical disability, functional limitation and other illnesses and injuries.
The diploma course in physiotherapy are developed to educate and train graduates to be physiotherapy practitioners. The course utilizes a problem-oriented approach in physiotherapy education emphasizing student-centred learning.
The course aims to develop and cultivate skills in critical thinking, problem-solving and decision making, which are essential for professional practice as a physiotherapist. The practical experience gained through workplace learning help to nurture clinical competence and enhancing hands-on skills.
Who Should Study the Diploma in Physiotherapy?
- Interest in Biology
- Students who excel in Biology can consider studying Physiotherapy. You will study how the body works and assist in its healing process.
- Interest in Sports
- Students who desire to work in the sports and fitness industry can go for this course. Careers in sport are difficult to come by but if you obtain a degree in Physiotherapy, and you will give yourself a decent chance of being employed in the area. Professional sports teams need their physiotherapists. Alternatively, you could become a sports injury specialist.
- Interest in Health Care
- Graduates will work in hospitals and health care centres
- You Prefer a Hands-On Practical Course and Career
- Physiotherapy courses include plenty of hours in the classroom where you learn from experts in the field. Besides the usual brand of lectures and seminars as the core of learning, there’s a fun practical aspect to studying the subject area. Your days will be full of problem-based learning, tutorials and eventually work experience in hospitals or clinics.
- Desire to Help People Lead a Healthy Life
- If you enjoy helping people and is able to empathise with their problems, this is an excellent course for you
- Becoming a physiotherapist means you can play a key role in enabling people to improve their health, wellbeing and quality of life. It’s a profession that works with people to identify and maximise their ability to move and function
- You like to Encourage and Motivate People
- Some patients may in pain or not able to move, making them depressed. It is your job to encourage and motivate them to see the end goal and the benefits of performing the exercises daily
- It comes naturally to you to persuade and influence them to perform the exercises
- You have a lot of Patience
- The path to healing may take a while and some patients may not listen to you, therefore you will need to be patient in helping them.
- You Enjoy Working with People
- If you are a people person and enjoy interacting with people, this course will provide you with many opportunities
What is the Education Pathway to Study Diploma in Physiotherapy after Secondary School?
Students who have completed high school and obtained a minimum of 5 credits in their SPM or IGCSE/O-Levels may go for the Diploma in Physiotherapy course. SPM students must have at least an E in BM and English as well as a C in Mathematics and one Science subject.
How long is the Duration to Study Diploma in Physiotherapy?
The Diploma in Physiotherapy will take 3 years to complete.
Accreditation and Recognition
The Diploma in Physiotherapy should be accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and approved by the Ministry of Health (MOH) Malaysia.
What are the Entry Requirements for Diploma in Physiotherapy?
- SPM or equivalent with PASS in Bahasa Melayu and English and 5 credits in the following subjects:
- ONE science subject (Biology/Physics/Chemistry/General Science/Applied Science); and
- Any other THREE subjects (including Bahasa Malaysia and/or English if credits)
*Having SPM referring to pass SPM with at least pass in Bahasa Melayu and History*
- Pass IGCSE/O-Level or equivalent with PASS in Bahasa Melayu or English and 5 Grade C in the following subjects:
- ONE science subject (Biology/Physics/Chemistry/General Science/Applied Science); and
- Any other THREE subjects (including Bahasa Melayu and/or English if obtained Grade C)
- Certificate (Level 3 MQF) in the field of Health Science with minimum CGPA of 2.75
- Other recognized qualification of equivalence
What will You Learn in the Diploma in Physiotherapy?
In the Diploma in Physiotherapy, students learn to manage and avert the problems that affect the physical functioning of the human body, and to maximize the physical body’s movement and agility, with the primary objective of enabling patients to achieve optimal and maximum independence in movement and function. Students learn proven techniques that help manage disorders of the human body for people of all ages.
In addition, Students learn how to provide treatment and care, while rehabilitating patients with physical and psychological deficiencies. Those enrolled in the course will study subjects such as anatomy, physiology, behavioural science, exercise therapy, electrotherapy, kinesiology and also the communication skills that will enable them to effectively interact with and counsel their patients.
In the Diploma in Physiotherapy, students will learn:
- How to assess, diagnose and treat patient’s injuries and physical conditions
- How to ensure physical function is at optimum level and functioning well
- How to plan and managing treatment. Critically assess the patients to set up effective treatment plan and carry out appropriate therapy including re-evolution.
- How to work with patients, care givers, peers and health-care team in the planning, delegating, implementing and evaluating care.
- The right exercise and massage techniques to hasten the rehabilitation process
- How to help patients prevent injuries and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Demonstrate customer focused delivery of healthcare.
- Maximize patient outcomes using effective communication skills.
What are the Subjects in the Diploma in Physiotherapy?
Students will take about 30 subjects throughout the 3-year Diploma programme. In addition, students will have to take about 4 MPU subjects as required by MQA. There will be Clinical Placements throughout the course as well. The subjects for the Diploma in Physiotherapy will vary from university to university therefore students need to compare to see which one fits their career goals. Below are a sample of subjects that you will learn in the Diploma in Physiotherapy at a private university in Malaysia.
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Applied Anatomy
- Behavioural Science
- Musculoskeletal Physiotherapy
- Cardio Respiratory Physiotherapy
- Exercise Therapy
- Biomechanics and Kinesiology
- Systemic Disorder in Physiotherapy
- Health Care System
- Behavioural Science
- Movement Therapy
- Physiotherapy Skills
- Clinical Placement
- Clinical Practice
- Women’s Health
- Sports, Wellness and Fitness
- Occupational Health and Sports Injury
- Physiotherapy in Acute Care
- Neurological Physiotherapy
What Can I Work as after Completing the Diploma in Physiotherapy?
- Physical Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Sports Physiotherapist
- Geriatric Physiotherapist
- Pediatric Physiotherapist
- Lymphatic Drainage Physiotherapist
Where Can I Work after I Graduate with the Diploma in Physiotherapy?
- Physiotherapy clinics and multidisciplinary clinics (for example, chiropractic clinics)
- Child development centres
- Community health centres
- Sport and recreation facilities
- Home care and continuing care facilities
- Hospitals and rehabilitation centres
- Special needs schools
- Nursing homes
- Home health agencies
- Corporate or industrial health centres
- Non-government organisations (NGO)
- Research centres
- Sports and fitness centres