Best Computer Science Degree Programmes in Malaysia at Top Private Universities
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
The field of computer science and engineering has made many exciting advances recently that few people could have envisioned only a few years ago. The rise of the internet has heralded computer applications that have become a normal part of our lives. New products are being develop continually that allow us to carry a computing device in our pockets that has as much power as room-sized computers a few decades ago. These innovations have not only introduced technological change but also social change and new ways of social interaction and the diffusion of information.
Computer science combines computer programming, data structures and algorithms with other disciplines including commerce, maths, physics and languages. A degree in computer science can be expected to concentrate on the scientific aspects of computing, while a degree in information technology can be expected to concentrate on the business and communication applications of computing. To understand the differences between computer science and software engineering, you may read more at this link.
Studying the degree in Computer Science at a top university in Malaysia, one will focus on subjects such as software, databases, and networking. In general computer science degrees tend to focus on the mathematical and theoretical foundations of computing rather than emphasizing specific technologies.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
Studying Computer Science in Malaysia
Computer Science is the ultra-flexible Computing degree. It has the flexibility that allows students to combine through electives learning about another discipline with learning how to design and implement software, or to specialise in one or two areas of Computing.
Computer science combines proficiency in computer programming, data structures and algorithms with other disciplines including commerce, maths, physics and languages. You will study computation, which looks at how computers process and sort information. Computer Science looks at how algorithms translate elements encoded in a computer’s memory and deliver them as information that has been requested (or searched for).
Computer science has more to do with theory of the computer and its computing abilites rather than hands-on applications. Computer science is basically the ability to solve a problem or getting the computer to do something without the help of a human. This field of data is not directly affected by the humans. Computing can also be done by hand and is used by many fields that are not related to primarily developing computers.
Scientists focus on developing algorithms that can create, alter and change the data depending on what
they would like. The commands that the computer follows are done by certain algorithm that tells it what to do. Computer science can also be divided into two specializations: theoretical computer science and applied computer sciences.
The theoretical science focuses on the classical theory of computation, along with other more abstract, logical, and mathematical aspects of computing. The applied computer sciences cover topics such as artificial intelligence, computer architecture and engineering, graphic designing, computing science, etc. It deals with mainly applications or additional programs.
Computer science requires a strong mathematical and scientific background. Depending on the university in Malaysia, the courses may vary in teaching subjects. While some universities prefer teaching theoretical aspect of computer science, others focus on advanced programming.
Subjects taught at universities in Malaysia may include Theoretical computer science, Theory of computation, Information and coding theory, Algorithms and data structures, Programming language theory, Formal methods, Concurrent, parallel and distributed systems, Databases and information retrieval, Artificial intelligence, Computer architecture and engineering, Computer graphics and visualization, Computer security and cryptography, etc.
High Job Demand in Malaysia for Computer Science Professionals
Your degree in Computer Science could see you working in the advanced IT operations of a huge number of industries. Computer science graduates also work in gaming and software development, robotics and artificial intelligence.
A university degree in computer science is no longer enough to secure a job in Malaysia. Employers in Malaysia are looking for individuals with multiple skill sets. Employers today expect their employees to be able to multitask and communicate well in the English language.
The gap between the demand for information and computer technology (ICT) talent and the supply of that talent is large. Study indicates that the existing situation cannot even supply half of the demand by 2020, about 500,000 human capital educated in science and technology will be needed in Malaysia. From this number, at least 30,000 graduates are required in the ICT job market.
According to PIKOM, there are many jobs out there for IT graduates and there are also many jobless IT graduates. The reason for this is that there is a mismatch of the courses with the skill needed. In addition, the training that the students received was not up to the standard needed in the industry.
With the increased demand for trained professionals in information technology (IT) and the many universities for students to choose from, it is important for the student to be able to choose a university that best fits his or her needs – financially, quality, educationally and career. Learn how to become a computer science professional in Malaysia by talking to knowledgeable & experienced counselors and then choosing the best private university for your degree studies. Research the education and career requirements, training and certification information and experience needed to be successful in your future career in computer science in Malaysia.
What is Computer Science?
Computer scientists are primarily concerned with the design of algorithms, languages, hardware architecture, systems software, applications software and tools. Applications range from simple game playing to the control of space vehicles, power plants and factories, from banking machines to intelligent fault and medical diagnosis. Computer professionals, in short, are concerned with the creation of computer and information systems for the benefit of society.
Computer science spans a wide range, from its theoretical and algorithmic foundations to cutting-edge
developments in robotics, computer vision, intelligent systems, bioinformatics, and other exciting areas.
We can think of the work of computer scientists as falling into three categories.
- They design and implement software. Computer scientists take on challenging programming jobs. They also supervise other programmers, keeping them aware of new approaches.
- They devise new ways to use computers. Progress in the CS areas of networking, database, and
human-computer-interface enabled the development of the World Wide Web. Now CS researchers are working with scientists from other fields to make robots become practical and intelligent aides, to use databases to create new knowledge, and to use computers to help decipher the secrets of our DNA.
- They develop effective ways to solve computing problems. For example, computer scientists develop
the best possible ways to store information in databases, send data over networks, and display complex images. Their theoretical background allows them to determine the best performance possible, and their study of algorithms helps them to develop new approaches that provide better performance.
Areas of Specialisations for Computer Science
- Artificial Intelligence: Creating computer systems that can think is one of the more exciting and potentially rewarding challenges that we face today.
- Computer Games: Modern computer games are among the most challenging computer applications to create. They use advanced concepts from computer graphics to artificial intelligence and networks. They require the collaboration of teams containing programmers, game designers, and artists.
- Computer Networks: Connecting separate physical devices through protocols to form a single logical network.
- Database Systems: Every interesting modern computer application requires the manipulation of large amounts of data (think: Google, Flickr, etc.). All of these applications require people who can build systems to organise and manipulate massive data sets efficiently and effectively. The database stream teaches you how to model, manage and analyse data in a variety of forms (relational tuples, images, documents) using existing database management systems (DBMSs), and even how to build DBMSs from the ground up.
- eCommerce: Development of computer networks and applications for business systems in small, medium and large enterprises.
- Human Computer Interaction: The most important component of any computer system is the user. Programmers skilled in user interface design are needed for successful interactive systems.
Robotics: Robotics is a sub-field of Artificial Intelligence with its own unique challenges.
Choosing the Best University in Malaysia to Study Computer Science
It is important to choose the best university in Malaysia to study your computer science degree so that you will gain the necessary knowledge and skills for a successful career in the competitive field of ICT. Computer science (CS) spans the range from theory through programming to cutting-edge development of computing solutions. The study of computers, including both hardware and software design. Computer science is composed of many broad disciplines, including artificial intelligence and software engineering.
While it can be difficult to choose between private universities or colleges in Malaysia offering the Computer Science Degree Course, you will find that there are some key differences between them that can help you make the big decision in choosing the right one that fits you. The best private universities and colleges in Malaysia have excellent facilities, years of experience running the Computer Science degree course, strong student support services, internships and experienced lecturers. Students should choose the best university in Malaysia for their Computer Science Degree studies in order to gain the necessary knowledge & skills for a successful career.
Established since 2009, EduSpiral Consultant Services is a top recruitment agent for private universities in Malaysia and private colleges in Singapore providing information and counselling on courses and helping students to choose the right university. EduSpiral Consultant Services sets ourselves apart from other agents by providing counseling based on facts and evidence so that our students are able to make the right choices after SPM, O-Levels, UEC, STPM, A-Levels or Pre-University.
Education Pathway to Become a Successful Computer Science Professional in Malaysia
Students after SPM or O-Levels may go for the Foundation in Computing or Information Technology at top private universities in Malaysia for 1 year before continuing on to the 3-year Computer Science degree. You will need at least 5 credits including Maths and passes in BM and Sejarah to enter the Foundation in Computing & Technology programme.
With 3 credits in SPM or O-Levels including Maths, students may go for the 2-year Diploma in Information Technology, Diploma in Computer Studies or Diploma in Software Engineering and then enter into Year 2 of the Computer Science degree.
Pre-University students with the relevant results in STPM, A-Levels, SAM, CPU, AUSMAT, etc. can enter directly into Year 1 of the Computer Science degree at the best university in Malaysia. Foundation in Science programmes from premier private universities in Malaysia are also accepted for entry.
Best Computer Science Degree Courses at Top Ranked Asia Pacific University (APU)
- Foundation in Computing & Technology
- Diploma in Information & Communications Technology
- Diploma in Information & Communications Technology with specialism in Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) in Computer Science with Specialism in Data Analytics.
The Dual Degree Programmes are offered through a unique collaborative partnership between Asia Pacific University (APU) and Staffordshire University, UK, through which Staffordshire accredits undergraduate programmes that are designed and delivered by APU. On completion of the programme, students will be awarded two undergraduate degree Certificates and Transcripts: one from APU and one from Staffordshire.
Asia Pacific University (APU) has been RATED No. 1 in Asia and Malaysia for its multicultural learning experience by Student Barometer Wave 2014, ‘Studying with people from other cultures’ and also ranked Tier 5 ranking or Excellent in the SETARA 2013 and 2011 by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) An impressive 95% of APU’s graduates obtain jobs before graduation. Asia Pacific University (APU) is the best university to study Computer Science in Malaysia as evidenced through the hundreds of awards that the university’s students and staff have won.
Top Ranked Taylor’s University offers First Rate Computer Science Degree Courses
- Foundation in Computing
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) at Taylor’s University
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) (Computer Security and Forensics)
Dual Degree awarded by Taylor’s University and the University of the West of England (UWE). Over 70% of Taylors University’s graduates are employed within 2 months. In addition, the university has strong partnerships with 3,000+ career partners in Malaysia and globally. Taylor’s University was voted the Most Popular Private College and / or University in Malaysia for two consecutive years (2008 and 2009), and is rated ‘Tier 5: Excellent‘ by the Ministry of Higher Education (MQA SETARA 2013). Taylor’s University is also ranked as one of the Top 250 universities in Asia by QS University Rankings: Asia 2015.
Best University College in Penang for Computer Science Degree Courses at KDU Penang University College
- Diploma in Computer Studies
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) at KDU Penang University College
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Games Programming
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Computer and Network Technology
In the MyQuest 2014/2015, KDU Penang University College was rated 6-Stars which is the highest ranking for a college in Malaysia. This would make KDU College the best college in Penang. KDU Penang was also rated an all-round 5-star College status by Ministry of Education (MOE) MyQuest Audit for2011/2012 and 2012/2013.
KDU Penang graduates will receive an academic transcript from KDU Penang and from top 50 ranked University of Lincoln, UK. The Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Computer and Network Technology degree programme at KDU Penang University College is designed to provide a challenging programme for students to demonstrate their full potential in respect to computer networking, software development and computer hardware in the context of modern digital communication systems.
KDU Penang University College Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) in Computer and Network Technology degree is validated by a leading UK university and upon successful completion of the programme graduates are awarded two degree certificates. The courses offered cover a wide range of topics including object-oriented programming, network programming and computational mathematics, computer data networks using languages and tools such as Java, C++, UNIX, Network Simulators, Network sensor smart home environment.
Outstanding Computer Science Courses at KDU University College
- Foundation Studies (Art & Technology)
- Diploma in Computer Studies
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons)
Affordable High Quality Computer Science Degree Course at First City University College
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science ( Intelligent Systems) (Hons).
First City University College is a private higher education institution established in 1990 by the First Nationwide Group. First City University College is the best value for money with a purpose-designed, fully equipped campus with sports and recreational facilities, and located on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama.
HELP University’s Computer Science Degree Programme
HELP University is Ranked as Very Good or Tier 4 in the SETARA 2013 & SETARA 2011 by MQA. The top university rank achieved by HELP University affirms their commitment and position as one of the best universities in Malaysia.
Top Criteria to Consider When Choosing the Best Private College in Malaysia to Study the Computer Science Degree
After SPM or O-Levels, there are many different pathways for you to choose from and sometimes it can be confusing. Choosing the right university or college for the Computer Science Degree Course after high school is one of the most important decisions you can make in your life. This can be a confusing and difficult time if you are unprepared.
Students who are not sure of what to study after SPM or O-Levels can contact EduSpiral Consultant Services to help guide you to choose the right course and university in Malaysia. At EduSpiral Consultant Services, we have counseled and helped thousands of students to choose the right course and private university to study in Malaysia.
Recognition & Reputation of the Computer Science Courses in Malaysia
- Is the Computer Science course popular at that university or college?
- What is the reputation or ranking of the private university in Malaysia? Global ranking by QS World University Rankings or locally by MQA in the SETARA 2013
- Is the Computer Science course recognised and approved by the Ministry of Education Malaysia?
- Is the Computer Science course accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Audit (MQA)?
- Awards won by the university, staff or students for the particular course of interest. The number of awards won would be a guide on how good the university is for the course.
- Type of programme (local diploma or dual award diploma or diploma awarded by foreign university partner?)
Academic Quality of the Computer Science Degree Course at the University in Malaysia
- Subjects offered in the Computer Science course (Are they relevant, up-to-date, and help you to achieve your career goals)
- Entry requirements for the Computer Science Degree Course at the university or college in Malaysia
- What is the Class size for the Computer Science course?
- Faculty contact/classes taught by full-time qualified & experienced faculty
- Quality of lecturers. What are their qualifications? How many years of experience in teaching?
- Ask your friends who have studied there or currently studying there for their opinion on the teaching quality, environment and facilities.
- Does the university or college have a strong internship or Co-Op programme?
- Do they have enough students to start a class?
- How many students do they have studying that course at that college?
- What is the duration of the course? When are the intake dates?
Facilities at the University for the Computer Science Course in Malaysia
- When choosing a university or college in Malaysia, it is important for students to visit the campus and see the facilities and feel the culture of the students to see if it fits you.
- Location of the university or college. Is it in the city, suburbs or country side? You should also consider the ambience of your surroundings when choosing a university. If you can’t live without nightlife, think city! If you’re into the great outdoors, you might want to go rural. Some students prefer a city life while other students prefer a quieter university environment away from the city. On the other hand, if you’re used to shopping malls and cinemas and choose a university in a rural area, you might get bored.
- Size of the university.
- Transportation. Is the university accessible to you? What are the public transportation available? If you drive, is there ample parking?
- Campus resources (labs, library or resource centre, wifi, computer access, sports facilities, etc.)
Cost for your Computer Science Degree Course Studies in Malaysia
- How much money do I have to pay for the course and cost of living? Ask your parents. Note that you will need to have enough to pay the tuition fees as well as your cost of living. (Costs for university studies in Malaysia would include tuition, hostel, food, transportation, entertainment, etc.)
- What are the Financial assistance available at the university? (Scholarships, PTPN Loan, EPF withdrawal, etc)
- Is the PTPTN loan available for the course at the university?
- How much are the tuition fees? Does it include the exam and other fees?
- How much is on-campus accommodation?
- How much is off-campus accommodation? (Off-campus apartments, houses, condominiums) Note that it might be cheaper to find off campus accommodation on your own with friends. Is the accommodations near eateries, banks, entertainment, public transportation, safe & secure, etc.?
Student Environment and Activities at the University & College
- What is the student culture at the university? (English-speaking environment, ambitious, serious about studies, lifestyle or party university, etc) The language spoken mostly at the college by the students may also matter if you don’t know Mandarin or BM or English. If most of the students speak Mandarin at that university then it will not help you to improve your English. Having a good command of the English language helps you to get good jobs and promotions.
- Size of the university or college in Malaysia. Some students prefer a large campus with sports facilities and other resources while other students like small colleges with family-like environment. A small college may offer individualised attention, as well as a more intimate and personalised experience. for your studies You might even want to think about how far you want to walk to get from one class to another in a large university campus. Even those little details may affect your decision.
- Make up of the student body (diversity, international students, gender, etc.) Universities with a good proportion of international students will help you to improve your English language skills since you would need to communicate with them in English. In addition, you will learn about their culture, behaviour and discover new ideas. These skills will be useful to you when you work overseas or in a multi-national company.
- What are the Extra-curricular activities available? (Student organisations, clubs, sports, etc.)
- Is the university or college campus a safe area? Safety within the campus and outside.
- Public vs. Private (STPM is tougher and choice of course & university is determined by the government)
Top Guide to Choose the Best Private University in Malaysia to Study the Computer Science Degree Course
If you’re among the lucky who can factor more than cost and proximity into where you decide to go, studying in a private university in Malaysia is a ticket to an adventure beyond the boundaries of what you’ve experienced so far. It’s a passport to the far side of what you already know. It’s a chance to be challenged, not coddled. To be provoked, not pacified.
Does brand matter? To a point. There are indeed future employers in Malaysia who see certain degrees as seals of approval, as pre-screening of a sort. However, obtaining a degree from a famous private university will only take you so far.
Some private universities have spent millions of Ringgit throughout the years telling you that they are the best. You should objectively look at the information carefully to assess which university in Malaysia is best for you. If you do not have the necessary knowledge and skills, you won’t get far in your career.
We must be careful when choosing a private university in Malaysia as many students listen to advise from
friends and relatives who are not knowledgeable offering information not supported by facts and evidence. Choosing a private university should be done carefully and objectively, not based on the number of glitzy advertisements you have heard or seen about that university.
Talking to counselors from the private universities is a common practice to obtain the necessary information to help you to decide. You should evaluate the information provided to see if what they say is true and supported by facts and evidence. There are also many agents in Malaysia offering their services where most of the staff are young and inexperienced. They would not have the skills to guide you on this most important decision in your life.
How many of a college’s or university’s students are coming from other countries? Favour private universities with higher percentages of foreigners, because as much of your education will happen outside as inside any lecture theatre, and globalisation is here and real. The dexterity with which you can navigate other cultures — your awareness of, and openness to, them — could be more valuable than any knowledge gleaned from a book.
Remember that no university is good at everything. Each university in Malaysia excels in particular courses, so you should check to make sure that your field of study is a strong-point of the university you choose.
Choosing a university that excels in your field of study may provide you with access to more specialised
opportunities, including custom-built facilities (a moot court for law students or Film & TV studio for mass communication students, for example), field-specific academic opportunities (such as student mobility programmes or overseas study trips) and employment or internships opportunities with top companies in. If your university excels in research in your field, it’s also likely that its research will filter through to your course, that you will be taught by prominent lecturers, and that there will be opportunities for you to undertake research.
Choosing the best university for your studies in Malaysia is important as it will help to shape your mind, character and help you to develop the necessary skills for a successful career. Therefore, not all private universities & colleges in Malaysia are the same. You should not choose a university because it is the cheapest, easiest and nearest. It should be based on which university that best fits your needs.
Many students in Malaysia also make the common mistake in choosing a university because their friends are going there. I even had one student tell me that his choice of university depends on where his girlfriend is going! This is one of the most important decisions that may change your life forever hence it should not be taken lightly.
Part of finding the right college or university in Malaysia for you will be picking out the criteria that matters to most to you, and then seeing if any of the top private colleges or universities in Malaysia that you’re looking at fit those criteria. To help you to choose the best university that fits you, you can build a list of top universities in Malaysia that meets your criteria.
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
range of choices for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- WhatsApp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral88
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiralsik
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: email@example.com
- Website: www.eduspiral.com