Top Private Universities in Malaysia to Study the Bachelor of Science (Hons) Biotechnology Undergraduate Degree
Written by EduSpiral Consultant Services For more information contact 01111408838
Choosing the right course to study in Malaysia after high school is one of the most important decisions you can make in your life. Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits including Maths & Science subjects may choose the Foundation in Science programme at premier private universities in Malaysia. Students after the external Pre-University Programme such as A-Levels, UEC, STPM, SAM, CPU, MUFY or AUSMAT may enter directly into the Engineering Degree programme with relevant results.
Biotechnology is the fastest growing science-based industry in the world, is widely regarded as the new engine of growth for the global economy. Covering the medical and health care industries, the agricultural and industrial sectors, the environment, and forensics, it encompasses also the applications of technologies like biochemistry, molecular biology, genetic engineering, bioinformatics, and others for the development of new products and processes.
For more information contact 01111408838
Please fill up the form for more information. If you do not give your mobile number or full name as in IC, your query will not be answered. Please make sure you give a correct email address and check your email including the SPAM or JUNK email folder within 48 hours as we will email you the information.
List of Top Private Universities in Malaysia for Biotechnology
Students wanting a top notch education in Biotechnology should go for top private universities in Malaysia so that they can get a solid education for better career prospects.
For students in biotechnology, you should be looking at getting at least a Master degree in Biotechnology to work in the industry. Biotechnology work is mainly in research and development, therefore, the basic requirement is at least a postgraduate qualification.
Best Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree at Top Ranked Taylor’s University Lakeside Campus in Malaysia
The premier 3-year Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University offers a comprehensive education and training in biotechnology focusing on three core areas, namely agriculture, healthcare and industrial. Biotechnology degree students at Taylor’s University may specialise in one of six areas, namely Drug Discovery & Development, Chemistry, Microbiology, Human Nutrition, Entrepreneurship or Communication.
Taylor’s University is one of the best universities in Malaysia for you to study the biotechnology degree programme. Students after SPM or O-Levels with at least 5 credits including the relevant subjects may enter Taylor’s Foundation in Science for 1 year before continuing on to the Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University.
The Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University is designed to give students a comprehensive education and training in biotechnology focusing on three core areas, namely agriculture, healthcare and industrial.
Students of Taylor’s biotechnology degree programme will be exposed to scientific principles and knowledge, bioinformation technologies, laboratory techniques in research and development, business and entrepreneurship skills, as well as legal, intellectual, social and ethical issues.
Though this Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme, Taylor’s University graduates will be capable of applying their scientific knowledge and skills to develop novel products and services for the benefit of society and prepare them for future careers as Biochemists, Biomedical Engineers, Crime Lab Technicians as well as other careers in the field of biotechnology.
- Opportunity for students to explore their passion through specialisation in one of six areas, namely Drug Discovery & Development, Chemistry, Microbiology, Human Nutrition, Entrepreneurship or Communication.
Strong Background in Research and Development
- Gain valuable real-world experience by undertaking research projects on topics such as infectious diseases, drug discovery, plant engineering and bioremediation.
- Guidance from experts who are specialists in their respective research clusters.
- Develop skilled graduates who can contribute actively to R&D efforts in the biotechnology industry.
Dynamic Internship Programme
- 10-week industrial attachment to develop practical and relevant skills for future employment.
Programme Structure for the Bachelor of Biotechnology (Hons) degree programme at Taylor’s University
Year 1 Subjects for the Biotechnology degree at Taylor’s University
- Principles of Life Sciences
- Organic Chemistry
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- MPU (U1) – Module 1*
- MPU (U1) – Module 2*
- MPU (U2)*
- Principles of Biochemistry
- Physical & Inorganic Chemistry
- Introduction to Microbiology
- Eukaryotic Cell Biology
- Biodiversity & Conservation
Year 2 Subjects for the Biotechnology degree at Taylor’s University
- Microbial Genetics & Physiology
- Food Biotechnology
- Plant Physiology
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Infectious Diseases
- Genes & Tissue Culture Technology
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- MPU (U4)*
Year 3 Subjects for the Biotechnology degree at Taylor’s University
- Applied & Industrial Microbiology
- Bioprocess Technology
- Research & Laboratory Management
- Research Project I
- Research Project II
- MPU (U3)*
- Industrial Attachment
Specialisation in Drug Discovery & Development
- Principles of Drug Discovery & Development
- Natural Product
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Formulation & Product Development
- Analytical Chemistry
- Design & Management of Clinical Research
Specialisation in Chemistry
- Thermodynamics & Electrochemistry
- Natural Product
- Food Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry & Technology
- Analytical Chemistry
- Industrial Chemistry
Specialisation in Microbiology
- Food Microbiology
- Pathogenesis of Microorganisms
- Epidemiology & Public Health
Specialisation in Human Nutrition
- Introduction to Food Science & Nutrition
- Introduction to Human Nutrition
- Nutrition in Health & Diseases
- Nutraceuticals & Functional Food
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Herbal Food
Specialisation in Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Management
- Introduction to Accounting
- Principles of Marketing
- Introduction to Finance
- Introduction to International Business
- Entrepreneurship & Small Business
Specialisation in Communication
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Communication Theories
- Intercultural Communication
- Public Relations Principles
- Visual Communication
- Media Writing
* The Ministry of Education (MOE) requires all students to take Mata Pelajaran Umum (MPU) (i.e. General Studies) which is categorised under U1, U2, U3 and U4 within the duration of their studies. U1 modules are prescribed by MOE whereas U2, U3 and U4 modules are from a list of University Core Modules (UCM) prescribed as per the Programme Guide.
Career Options for Biotechnology Graduates from Taylor’s University
- Agriculture Biotechnologist
- Analytical Scientist
- Laboratory Technologist
- Marketing (Life Sciences)
- Quality Officer (Biomanufacturing)
- Research Scientist (Life sciences)
- Science Writer
The best university for the Biotechnology degree course at UCSI University
Established in 1999, UCSI University’s Faculty of Applied Sciences has distinguished itself as a premier faculty that oﬀers Credit Transfer Programmes for Bachelor of Applied Sciences degrees in the ﬁelds of Biotechnology and Food Science and Nutrition.
The Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Biotechnology has the advantage over similar degrees as it oﬀers all-round training in the major areas of Biotechnology, and is also in line with our national agenda to produce more quality scientists by meeting the needs of biotech research, the commercial biotechnology industry and academic institutions.
After graduating with the degree, you can continue on to the MSc. in Biotechnology or MSc. Biotechnology with Business Management at UCSI University.
After SPM, students will go into the Foundation in Science before entering into the Biotech degree course at UCSI University. Students from Sarawak can join the Foundation in Science at UCSI University’s Kuching campus for 1 year before transferring to the Kuala Lumpur campus to continue for the degree course.
Entry Requirements into Biotechnology Degree Programmes in Malaysia
To join the Diploma in Biotechnology, you will need at least 3 credits in SPM or UEC including Mathematics and Science & a pass in Bahasa Melayu.
For SPM, you will need a minimum 5 credits, inclusive of Mathematics and 2 pure science subjects. With 5 credits or Bs in UEC (Inclusive of Chemistry, Biology & Mathematics / Physics) you can enter directly into the degree.
You will need at least 3 principals (E) in A-Levels or Cs in STPM in Chemistry, Biology & Mathematics / Physics to enter into the degree programme.
B.Sc. (Hons) Biotechnology at UCSI University in Kuala Lumpur
Designed with the aid of leading members in the biotechnology ﬁeld, the 3-year programme helps to bridge the gap between industry and academia.
The course content is aimed at providing students with a good foundation of knowledge and hands-on practical experience of the diﬀerent ﬁelds of biotechnology for their future careers which include Pharmacology, Physiological Sciences, Metabolic Biochemistry, Molecular Cell Biology, Human Molecular Genetics, Animal and Plant Cell Culture, Microbial Biotechnology, Enzyme Technology, Fermentation Technology and Downstream processing, Bioprocess Engineering and Environmental Biotechnology.
The course aims to produce competent, conﬁdent and consummate graduates in the ﬁeld of Biotechnology who are internationally employable and who are equipped with various valuable transferable skills like presentation techniques, communication skills, exposure to problem solving, teamwork and the use of information technology.
In addition, students will be made to realize the ethical issues and the impact of biotechnology on society, as well as trained to be bioentrepreneurs / technopreneurs that would enable them to translate research outcomes into business opportunities.
The biotech program at UCSI University is 60% coursework and 40% written examination percentage.
UCSI University’s Innovation Co-Operative Education Training Programme for Biotech Students
With its innovative academic curriculum, UCSI University students also enjoy the unique benefits of its Co-Operative Education Training Programme (Co-Op) that enhances their employability by integrating classroom learning with workplace training in Co-Op employer organisations. Completing two months’ work experience for every study year, a UCSI University student would have six to eight months’ work experience to stand ready for full-time employment upon their graduation.Currently, UCSI University has more than 1,000 employer organisations registered as heir Co-Op employers. With the number rising annually, these partnerships create job opportunities for students to be job-ready upon their graduation.
Science Laboratories at UCSI University
UCSI University operates 7 major science laboratories and several smaller research labs which are maintained by the Science Laboratories Department.
- Anatomy & Pathology Museum
- Biology Labs
- Cell and Tissue Culture Lab
- Chemistry Laboratories 1 and 2
- Chemistry Labs
- Fermentation Lab
- Food Processing Lab
- Food Technology Lab
- Media Preparation Lab
- Microbiology Laboratory
- Molecular Biology Laboratory
- Physics Labs
- Special Instrument Laboratory
Study the Biotechnology Diploma and Degree course at Nilai University
Nilai University’s Biotechnology programmes have strong industry support from the industry advisory panel. They are represented by:
- BIOTECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
- FELDA BIOTECHONOLOGY
- INNO BIO VENTURES
- MALAYSIAN BIOTECHNOLOGY INFORMATION CENTRE
- VIVANTIS TECHNOLOGY
Biotechnology Laboratories at Nilai University
The biotechnology laboratory features the essential learning and teaching
resources. For students studying science-based courses, the Chemistry and Physics laboratories are furnished with equipments which allow students to put theory-based learning into practice through experiments and research.
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- Class II Biosafety Cabinet
- Horizontal Laminar Flow with ULPA filter
- Ultrapure water purification system
- Refrigerated Microcentrifuge
- Ice Maker
- High Performance Liquid
- Biology Room
- Chromatography (HPLC-DAD)
- Gradient 96-well Thermal Cycler
- ELISA Micro plate Reader
- UV- Transluminator
- Plant Culture Room
- Plant culture racks
- Chemistry Laboratory
- Calorimeter cup
- Distillation apparatus
- Electronic balance
- Magnetic stirrer
- pH meter
- Vortex shaker
- Water bath
- Water distiller
- Fume hood
- Ballistic Pendulum Set
- Rotating Tool
- Air Track Set
- Optical demonstration instrument
- Advance Low Profile Optical Bench
What will you study in Biotechnology?
- Human Physiology
- Physiological Science
- Structural Biochemistry
- Biochemistry and Metabolism
- Microbes & Immunology
- Statistic and its Applications
- Entrepreneurship for Applied Science
- Research Methodology, Safety and Ethics
- Molecular Cell Biology
- Recombinant Technology
- Enzyme Technology
- Human Molecular Genetics
- Environmental Biotechnology and Sustainability
- Cell and Tissue Culture
- Biotechnology Research Project
- Fermentation Technology and Downstream Processing
- Bioprocess Engineering
- Food Microbiology
EduSpiral Consultant Services- Your Personal Online Education Advisor
for students to choose from. These colleges and universities offer value for money in the quality of education and excellent facilities that you get.
These universities and colleges are chosen by EduSpiral because they represent the best in their fields in Malaysia and affordable. EduSpiral provides in-depth information and counseling on their courses so that students are able to make the right choice.
If you are still not sure what to study, please contact us and we will send you a free EduSpiral Career Assessment Form.
Please contact us for more details.
- WhatsApp: +601111408838
- Wechat/Line: EduSpiral88
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/eduspiral
- Foursquare: www.foursquare.com/eduspiral
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/eduspiral
- Follow EduSpiral: www.twitter.com/eduspiral88
- Be my friend: www.facebook.com/eduspiralsik
- Like EduSpiral: www.facebook.com/eduspiralcs
- Message me: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.eduspiral.com